Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tagged

by Martha

I was tagged by Lori for a MEME: (6 random thoughts/ habits/ quirks, about me), and I've never really had my own posting on "Madison and Luke's blog," so here it goes:

1. I've been watching the same soap opera for 25, yes 25, years. My mom, grandmother (whom I never knew), great-grandmother, and I have been As the World Turns junkies that long. I really started watching it as a four/five year old, so I can honestly remember stuff that happened that long ago. And, before you go knocking on soaps, they never have re-runs, and they are exactly like the drama series shows on in the evening, except they are on during the day, everyday. The worst time of the year, in my opinion, is the two weeks of March Madness because my show isn't on. My college roommate, Jenn, is an As the World Turns fan too, so we can keep each other up-to-date, along with my mom, of course.

2. The evenings when we don't eat dinner, such as many Sunday evenings and a lot of the nights Edward is on call, my favorite "dinner" combination includes popcorn and ice cream.

3. I hate clutter, specifically piles of items and items "stuffed" into things. Edward is a big piler and stuffer. In my opinion, there is no point for piles; you still have to go through them at some point. With the Army lifestyle, I have no room in my life for a lot of extra clutter.

4. I love to vacuum and do it at least once a day. On that same note, I use my steam vac at least once a month on the whole house (our realtor noted the carpet looked new). If you can't see the lines on the carpet, it looks dirty to me. Now, with two toddlers, vacuuming once a day isn't that impressive, but it helps me keep my sanity. You might think I'd have a really expensive vacuum with that obsession, but no, I just have a $60 Dirt Devil (newly purchased!). All of the vacuums I have had have held up for three to five years, so I figure they've all been pretty good investments. I was like a little kid on Christmas when UPS brought me my new vacuum. Both Madison and Luke seem to share in my enjoyment, as Madison asks, "Want to sweep the floor, Mommy?" while Luke chases the vacuum around the house as I clean.

5. I can't stand bad grammar. That is the English teacher in me. I can't stand to hear it; I can't stand to read it. Edward, along with many of my friends, would agree I murder any papers they ask me to proofread. The first time I proofread a paper for Edward was my senior year in college, and he had a 15 page paper. It took me almost two hours to proofread it.

6. I LOVE to shop. I don't have to buy; in fact, I don't buy that often. I really just love a good bargain, and I search them out. Actually, I should say I love to shop for my kids. I hardly ever get anything for myself, and Edward claims he never needs anything. For some strange reason, I thoroughly enjoy browsing at Children's Place, Carters, and the like. My friend, Jen, in Raleigh is very similiar. Whenever we meet to go shopping, we spend 99% of the day in kid-type stores.

7. Ok, so I have an extra one I just thought of...(here's my shout-out to you, Carin)--I had a pen pal starting at age 10, and we're still good friends. In fact, when we move to Yuma, Carin and I will live as close as we ever have! Growing up, Martha-Ohio and Carin-Maine; college, Martha-South Carolina and Carin-Connecticut; post-college Martha-Ft. Lauderdale and Carin-Tampa (four hours away); now, Martha-North Carolina and Carin-Southern California. Soon, we'll be two hours away. Oh, and I still have all of our letters, including the ones where Carin was learning how to type in typing class :)

8. I know, I have way too many random things on which to comment. I have been cutting Edward's hair for the last seven years. I've got thinning scissors and all; I use the different settings on the clippers too. I also cut Madison's hair and will probably cut Luke's hair as soon as he has enough to cut.

And, as an added random note, I know way too many "Jen's." I feel like if I answer the phone by saying, "Hey Jen," I'll be right most of the time.

Okay, so now I tag Meredith, Karen, Jennifer, and Brandy. All of you have blogs I read.

2 comments:

newmanfamily said...

No knocking soaps here. I think I have been watching General Hospital for 21 years. The only time I have missed since I got a VCR in high school was our honeymoon and our trip to Italy. Thanks for participating! Lori

Anonymous said...

Ok, 6 or 8 things? I'll get working on it right now; good thing I'm home from school today. Have a great President's Day!