Sunday, June 15, 2008

Yuma

by Martha

Our trip to Yuma is over, at least until we move out there for good soon. The last day we attended a change of command ceremony, which was really nice. I was able to meet other wives, sadly most were PCSing themselves. I was quickly recognized as "new" because it's so small. Everyone seems to know your name, just like Cheers :) Most people walked up and said, "You must be doc's wife." We even secured babysitters, as one of the soliders Edward will be working with came up, said, "Got any kids?" and when we told him we did, he said, "I've got babysitters in the form of a 16, 14, and 12 yr. old." References-ask all the wives :) I told him if he knew my kids, there were days it would take all three of his to take care of mine!

I arrived back in Raleigh Saturday morning, after taking a Red-Eye and a connection then from Charlotte. My brother and his wife picked me up at the airport and brought me back to Ft. Bragg. My parents dropped the kids off about an hour after I got in from the airport.

Edward was supposed to arrive home around 8:00 last night from his travels, but he had a very frustrating day too. His flight out of Yuma got cancelled-shocker, I know, after the week we had there, so the airline bused him (and many other people) from Yuma to Phoenix for another flight. Now, they said he'd make the 1:30 flight out of Phoenix, but the shuttle bus was still in Yuma at 10:30. It's a three-hour drive through the desert to Phoenix, so shockingly, he missed his flight in Phoenix (he told the dumb girl that in Yuma, but she booked him on it anyways). He was rebooked on a 3:10 flight to Charlotte and got in at 10:15 last night. The had booked him on a 10:10 flight out of Charlotte to Fayetteville, and if you can do the math, which the airline can't do apparently, you could see that he was supposed to take-off on a flight before his other one even landed. His flight actually got in a few minutes early, and after running from one end of the airport to the other, he made it to the gate at 10:05 to see the plane had already left...not that he couldn't get on it-IT HAD ALREADY TAKEN OFF! It left early and without him! After all of that, the airline really couldn't argue giving him a free hotel room, so they did, and he arrived to Fayetteville at 8:45 this morning.

You'd think he was more tired than me, but he's at least had some sleep! I had a Red-Eye with almost no sleep, and then, I only got about six hours last night due to time change and the kids walking up before dawn today! So, I'm at around six hours of sleep in 48 hours. And no, I'm not really a napoer-believe me, I wish I was!

As far as updates on our move, well,
Housing-still a mess, and it gets even better-12 of the 17 four bedroom homes are being vacated this month, and they still want to stick us in a three-bedroom. They don't have 12 families even coming in -HELLO???
P.O. Box-rented one, but in town, so that's annoying
Cell phone-still pink, but now another annoyance-So, I asked the guy in Yuma about getting a military discount, and he said there weren't any. Driving to the airport this morning, and looking around as the kids were watching "Bob the Builder" in the backseat, I drove by an Alltel store, and what do they have hanging from the front of the store-A HUGE "MILITARY RECEIVE 15% DISCOUNT ON THEIR SERVICE" BANNER!!!!!!!!!!! The guy flat out lied to me! We found out now, I have to enter Edward's military email address on my account and "should get a discount applied starting in a month or so." Great, another hassle.
Preschool-Sadly, no change.
Windshield-turned in the rental car, so waiting for info to be sent.
New addition-Madison's nose incident-Got home from Yuma to get a notice from the Georgia hospital that Edward put Madison's social security number instead of his own where it asked how to file it. So, we all have to be listed under Edward, and the system is looking it up under Madison, so they won't pay it until it gets changed. Plus, there's some clause about "time limits." I'm sure it will become a bigger issue than it already is because that's our luck right now.

Here are the pictures I took in Yuma. Sorry if the landscape is "boring"...that's what it looks like everywhere. YPG is our base/post-I refer to it as a base a lot, no particular reason.
Driving out to YPG, the post from Yuma. It's 21 miles from Interstate 8/town.


More desert scenery-in the distance, I believe the dust is from weapons testing, which is one of the things done at YPG.


Entrance from highway to YPG


Driving toward one gate of the base


I love roadsigns, and this one tells you just how far south we live. I took this just after getting back on the highway from base. Now, I'm heading back into town.


Ah, the scenery into town looks a lot like the scenery going toward YPG.


More driving


Wow, a field! There aren't many, but there are a few fields as you drive into town. There are a lot of canal systems running through this part of the desert to irrigate these fields. We're used to the canal systems from Ft. Lauderdale! A good end result seems to be really cheap, fresh produce sold on the side of the road that you know came from the fields. We saw watermelon selling for $2 a melon.

Awesome, and I thought I was going to have to give up a favorite hobby of mine, gardening. This sign is also on the way into town.


Yup, still not to town yet.


This is the church where I was hoping Madison would attend preschool. It literally sits at the last exit before the desert. There's nothing to the right of the church but sand.


Play area she would love-also, the coverings over the play area are very popular all over Yuma.


Besides the preschool, this is an active church we'll have to check out.

Edward's clinic, well, it will look a lot differently after they renovate it. It's closed down now, and he'll be in a portable trailer type of unit until the renovations are done.

The Pool! However, it's only open May-September???? for the desert where it's still in the 100's until October.


Just a radom view of post to show you that there is some grass; there are some trees, and there are a lot of rocks used as landscaping. Edward's portable clinic would be somewhere in the background.


View of the mountains as I drive back to Phoenix for my flight. Oh, and on my drive back, I passed one that was closed, but was stopped at a second "Border Patrol" station where I verified that I'm a U.S. Citizen.

More driving to Phoenix

And, one last picture as I drive toward Phoenix (told you it was a long drive!). I stopped to take this at a rest area.

No comments: