Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Birthday Babies

Alex has developed some very special friendships already. The day he was born, May 30th, ended up being a popular day. My friend, Amy, was already scheduled for an induction that day, and we both had been joking with our OB that I'd come in the same day to keep her company and deliver Alex. Her husband is a doctor down at the Marine Base here in Yuma. Our doc kept saying it wouldn't happen because Amy was originally due the day before me, so with an induction three weeks early, it wasn't likely that I'd be there...of course, I reminded him I'd had my other two babies two and three weeks early. Well, so, we did end up there on the same day. In fact, when I was checked into the hospital, Edward went down and found Amy in her room, and we all got to chat. The next morning, they began her induction, and I went into active labor (because I was originally admitted for hypertension issues). So, to make a long story shorter, we ended up sharing the same labor nurse and then the same pospartum nurse. We waived our medical privacy so the nurses could go back and forth telling us how each was doing. Even funnier, another lady Amy knew from their Marine Squadron unit came in that same day to deliver, and she was due four days after us!

Oh, and we made sure to rub it in with our OB...don't doubt pregnant mamas!

Here they are: Three babies all with a May 30 birthday, all three weeks early. The fourth little guy is another friend, and he's 10 days old. If he looks tiny, he is at 5 lbs. 12 oz., but Alex was even SMALLER at birth :) In order from oldest to youngest: Alex born at 11:45 AM, Bruce born at 11:36 PM, and Katie, born at 11:45 PM (exactly 12 hours after Alex...her mom was my friend Amy). They are the birthday babies! Alex was the smallest at 5 lbs. 8 oz. Katie was the biggest at 9 lbs. 8 oz (exactly four pounds heavier than Alex). It's cool to see the exact same age and the differences in size.






They all had a GREAT playdate....thankfully, they all slept some, so the moms got a chance to chat. We're going to do this every month so everyone can enjoy the Birthday Babies. We said we should go out to lunch on their actual birthday and freak out the waitress who probably wouldn't believe they all have the same birthday.

1 comment:

Harry and Mer said...

This is great!!!!!