Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Friends across the Miles

Jen and I met six years ago when we both lived in Ft. Lauderdale.  Edward was really busy with med school, I was teaching, and I wanted something to do on the weekends while he was away for rotations (I had just finished my master's degree and needed something else to fill some time).  I met Jen when I applied at Bath and Body Works.  She was the assistant manager, working there while finishing her master's degree.  We joked our store was the most educated  :)  Jen and I spent a lot of time working together in Florida.  We were pregnant with our girls at the same time, and then the Army moved us two weeks before Madison was born.  When Jen's daughter was around eight months old, Jen's husband was transferred to Raleigh...an hour and a half from Ft. Bragg.  Jen and I met up again, and during my time at Bragg, we had an outing each month to the outlet mall (with all the kids), and we each made several trips to the other's homes.  Kid number two entered the picture for both of us, so we attended baby showers and birthday parties too.  Well, Yuma separated us again, and I'm pretty sure her husband won't be transferred out here  :)  However, maybe one day, we'll be back at Bragg to hang out again.

The distance hasn't stopped our friendship.  We talk on the phone everyday, and we can still actually shop together...just now it's online shopping  :)  We dread the time difference (especially the six months of the year it's a three-hour-difference).  Our kids are our lives, and we're so glad we got some time to get together.  During my trip back East, Jen, Edward, and I met at the outlet mall again (Edward was mainly along for the ride, and then Jen and I shopped).  Our last night, we stayed with Jen and her family in Raleigh.  She lives a few minutes from my brother, but in the midst of his deploying, we decided it would be better if we stayed with Jen.  The kids had a blast, and Jen finally got to meet Alex.


Jen's husband, Tim, takes pictures for a hobby, so he got some shots of the kids.  There are more to come, but here's a preview:


Cassandra and Madison




Our crew!  Alex (7 mos) in the front, Luke (2 1/2), Madison (4 1/2), Cassasndra (4 1/2 almost), Julianne (2).  It's shocking the girls have matching clothing  :)  Hmm...


Edward had a good handle on the two-year-old crowd  :)

Madison and Cassandra really wanted to have a sleepover in Cassandra's room.  We were all fine with it, but the girls quickly discovered that Madison likes a really dark room to sleep, and Cassandra prefers to sleep with the lights on.   They ended their sleepover only to start playing together first thing in the morning  :)

Thanks for letting us stay with you.  We had a great visit and really appreciate everything.

1 comment:

Rachel Peacock-Young said...

I am so jealous!!! However, I am glad you all got to see each other. I miss you both everyday. Maybe someday we can all end up on the Carolina coast for a moment.