So, what does well here? I planted petunias, snapdragons, and hibiscus mainly. I also have two small palm trees and two wandering jews. Last year, I tested the water a little, and these did the best here. Plus, I love both. Anything that says "full sun" doesn't really mean there here in Yuma. NOTHING in Yuma can take FULL sun, since it's sunny 350 days of the year. What I try to do is get only full sun flowers and put them in some shade. Anything that says "shade" on it fries out here in this climate.
Thursday, October 08, 2009
"Spring" Planting
Well, now that the 120 degree weather is over for the season, I can finally plant my flowers again. Season here in Yuma seem reversed. Everyone hibernates indoors in the summer because of the heat, comparable to winters everywhere else because of the cold. So, now that "Fall" is here, it's like springtime for us. "Cooler temps" mean we can put the flowers out, and they should last until the end of May. Oh, and by cooler, I mean only highs in the mid-90's :)
This week, the boys and I made a couple of trips to Home Depot and Target for our flowers. Madison was at preschool, and Luke would have normally been there too, but his broken foot has him homebound.

And, in the backyard, things are taking shape. I still have some flowers/plants I want to get, and both Home Depot and Target were out of a planter I wanted, but it's nice to finally be able to go outside and enjoy the weather!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment