Friday, August 01, 2008

Cowgirls, cupcakes, concrete, and jackrabbits

All of these items have been really important these last few days. Madison always enjoyed being "Cowgirl Madison," and the cowgirl has reappeared here in Arizona. However, she's taken to wearing different "cowgirl" clothing.


Cupcakes-since we arrived here, Madison has been asking for cupcakes. She loves them, and while we didn't get them a ton when we lived in NC, they were a special treat. Here, the commissary is so small, we don't have a bakery or deli area. That is a major disappointment for my kids; both love cupcakes...and deli meat too! Anyways, the other day, I had to run over to the commissary after dinner. Madison begged to go, her first trip to this commissary. She knows what the commissary is, so I think she was thinking they would have cupcakes. She even mentioned it, and I told her they didn't have them...she had to see for herself. Well, I promised her I would find some cupcakes when I went into town. Yesterday, I had to do a major run into town for stops at Target, Walmart, the bank, etc. Our local in-town grocery store is Frys, a division of Kroger. Of course, they had cupcakes, but they only had one pack left, so I snagged it quickly! With a 25 minute drive back home, the cupcakes barely made it. They don't hold up well in 115 degree weather...note to self to take a cooler to the grocery store-that sounds terrible!!!! Luckily, my kids didn't mind the melted frosting, and cupcakes we had!


Seriously, Luke stood like this as I got the cupcakes out of the package. These kids don't mess around with their favorite treats!

Onto the concrete and jackrabbits...these have to do with the cats.

Tiger is in love with concrete. We adopted Tiger the month we moved to Florida seven years ago. He was so small you could fit him in the palm of your hand, and our big lazy cat is now about 15 lbs. Tiger spent most of his time in Florida catching lizards in our backyard and rolling around on the small concrete stoop we had. He was so disappointed when we moved to NC where he didn't have the concrete anymore, just a wooden deck. Now, we have a covered concrete patio out back, and Tiger is in heaven. The heat doesn't seem to stop this cat from just rolling on his concrete. We're glad to have a happy cat again.



Bear has found a new hobby, chasing jackrabbits. I'd never seen a jackrabbit before until the other night. Bear, just being a year old, is still quite the kitten. He's really playful and enjoys attacking Tiger. We can't let Bear out after dark because he'll hop the fence, and then we have to hunt him down. The other evening, Tiger was out rolling on the concrete, and Bear was sitting with him. I should have brought Bear in (Tiger doesn't hop fences), but I figured they were both sitting on the patio, so it should be fine. Well, awhile later, Tiger wanted to come in, and sure enough, Bear was gone, his first escape out of the backyard. Edward and I took to walking around the house, and then Edward went off to the park while I stayed home with the kids. Sure enough, Bear was at the park, and he'd found a jackrabbit. After chasing him for awhile, Edward caught Bear. Now, whenever Bear goes outside, anytime of day, he obsesses about the jackrabbits. Edward and I wonder what he'll do with one if he actually manages to corner it?? Jackrabbits are HUGE, bigger than Bear, so it would be interesting...

Okay, back to cowgirls, cupcakes, concrete, and jackrabbits...

2 comments:

newmanfamily said...

I love that Madison's outfits are as crazy as the ones that John comes up with.

Mack the Quack, Kait the Great and Knox the Fox said...

Madison and Luke~We are so glad you have made it to your new home and you are enjoying it! We ask about both of you all the time! Hopefully we can visit you one day! Love Mack and Kait