Sunday, October 12, 2008

Visiting Arizona-Checking out the Proving Ground (where we live)

by Madison and Luke

We're having a really nice visit with Grandma and Grandpa. While both have been to Arizona before, neither have been to Yuma. We've enjoyed showing them around our new home and new town.

Grandma brought me a princess hairstyling kit. We've been doing our hair together in the mornings.

She and Grandpa also brought me a few new puzzles. I've upgraded again to 100 piece puzzles and am doing them with no problems. Grandma enjoys watching me do my puzzles.

Thursday morning while Madison was at school, Grandma, Grandpa, Mommy, Daddy and I went just to the end of our block, which is where the parade grounds are. There, the HALO Instructors were doing a practice demonstration in preparation for a general's visit this coming week. We watched the guys jump and had fun playing out on the field. It's finally getting a little cooler. On this particular day, the high was around 92.

Here they come out of the sky...it's a bird, it's a plane, nope, it's the HALO guys...they jump out of the plane at 10,000 feet and free fall through the sky until around 4,000 feet where their parachutes open. Then, they glide through the sky to a very smooth, standing up landing.

Here they come. They actually put an X marker on the field as a target for the guys to hit. From 10,000 feet up, they can all hit it with no problem. I guess that's why they are good combat troops.

I found a stick. I was a little worrie the incoming soldiers were the enemy, so I found this to protect myself.

Sweet Luke...he really enjoyed watching the soldiers jump.

Daddy was out there with us, partly to hang out, but this is his job. He makes sure none of the guys hurt themselves, and if they do, he takes care of them. No incidents this day. What he is wearing is the uniform out here. No ACU's here...in fact, the soldiers joke if they see guys wearing them, they are probably visitors. Gray shirt, black shorts, and very STYLISH black hightop type sneakers. Mommy isn't impressed. Here, he's looking all official with his phones and other attachments.

A break in the action...so, I decided to climb a tree. Here, I'm sitting up in the branches. The jumps take place as a few soldiers jump at a time, and the plane lands, reloads, and another group comes along.

I found this weed that fascinated me. I guess sometimes, it's the small things that you enjoy.

No comments: