Before Edward's dad died five and a half years ago, he used to make "popcorn junk" each year for Christmas. He would make a ton of it, put it into tins, and give it out to family and friends. That's probably one of the best memories I have of Glenn...handing out the popcorn junk. Everyone loved the stuff, and the last few years, Edward's sister, Jennifer, and I have been trying to get the recipe. Anyone who knew Edward's dad knew he wasn't the most organized of people! Well, a year or so ago, Jennifer and I were able to locate the recipe thanks to their mom. She had it stashed away with a ton of other delicious recipes, hard to locate, but we did find it! Today, Edward and I made our first popcorn junk. We both really enjoyed our cooking together and will add this to our required holiday foods each year.
Edward had the morning off because they were going to be jumping after dark, but then he came home early tonight (around 7:00), right when they were supposed to jump because visibility was too low (it was under 10,000 feet and has to be over that). Our popcorn junk today was to be made for all of the staff at the medical clinic here on base. Edward wanted to take a tin to each person in his clinic...24 in all (P.A., nurse, medics, front-desk staff, insurance, etc.). With each batch of popcorn junk making enough for three medium-sized cookie tins, we made eight batches today! It worked out well that we were able to get four batches in this morning, and then we did another four after the kids went to bed (I had to make a run to Frys to buy more supplies during the afternoon...I've never used two bags of brown sugar in one day!). I was going to do the last four tonight anyways, but it was really nice Edward's jumping got cancelled for the night.
We'd like to make a few more batches for the neighbors, and don't worry, Jennifer, we'll have some popcorn junk for your visit this weekend :)
Here's half a batch...two pans make one batch. It's basically baked carmel corn. We make it all from scratch. Each batch takes about 45 min. to make.
My prep area...thank goodness I have a HUGE kitchen. Luke enjoyed being the sole taste-tester while Madison was at preschool. Don't worry, he didn't sit there all morning. You happened to catch him at lunchtime, but knowing Luke, lunchtime lasts almost all day! He's one hungry kid.
Our finished product this evening...24 tins ready to go. Thanks to the Dollar Store for having all of these tins in stock!



1 comment:
Burt informed me he would like to get things for the people in his clinic. I think it is going to be a big fat tough. I did order his medical assistant something but it is a little late in the game for everyone. Oh, and I am such a slacker, I still haven't mailed gifts. I did get boxes yesterday. Maybe tomorrow when John is in school.
Post a Comment